Sunday, September 12, 2021

Today I nearly made a post to twitter that did not opine about music. I have been haunting people acting the obscurantist while they discuss Charlie Watts' unfortunate passing or offering my thoughts on the best record that was released in September 1989. I still remmber that month because I was consumed by the Stone Roses and was debating over whether I would transfer to pre-med. I did. I did not go to medical school, however, even though I was accepted twice. My mother's heart longs for a doctor. I could be a doctor of pedantry. I recently discovered David Eastaugh's podcast where he often interviews members of indiepop royalty. I listend to a delightful interview with Paul Stewart and one with Mary and Julian from Evan as We Speak which is not quite as delightful, they are economists in comparison, but I am happily treading my way through his archives. I don't know who he is or if he was someone of significance at some point of time but he is a fan and it is lovely to hear his joy when discussing his theories on the mightiness of the SMiths and other peculiar predilections even as he offers facile political opinions that have not, seemingly, evolved since the miner's strikes. He might have a portastack on his back, I am not certain. Update: I listened to the Echobelly interview today and while I am not a fan of Echobelly I did enjoy the talk. I was chuickling when the host panicked when Ms Echobelly(sounding rather heterodox although I am sure she is well equipped with all of the other right-on views) started suggesting that people have a right to free expression and that Morrissey may not be racist after having, earlier, described her encounter with Richey Manic the night before his disappearance. That ranks up with the terminally dull singer of the NIvens explaining how Sting was his brilliant school teacher for a year before trundling off to Paris to become "famous" for surprise revelations confessed to this timid podcast host. I understand that David E is loathe to create any sort of controversy but it made me giggle and it also saddened me because this is our future where it will be appropriate to have passionate opinions about a mediocre Echobelly track but we are almost guaranteed a future where one is not allowed to discuss any issues of heft or importance. He does not have a portastack on his back, but rather he has a censorious golem extracted from his conscience whispering into his ear. Also, I dreamt that Green Greenwald was trying to convince me to vacation in Paris but when we looked at the extended forecast I decided the weather was not suitable for a vacation just then and he then tried to convince me to spray paint the skirt of my mattress gold. Gore Vidal said(likely with more wit) that people who describe their dreams kill conversations-the end.