Thursday, October 16, 2008

Celestial Crystal Heights. I have forsaken my existence as an individual. I am an automaton. Part of John Conway's "Life" only. I paid for this record. It was inexpensive. I am searching Monster.com at the moment for new employment. I still have a job. Perhaps not for much longer, I made a major error. One that is certain to cost me my means of supporting myself. Perhaps I will move to Myrtle Beach and become a Wal-Mart door greeter. There is one impossibly warm person at work I will miss but none other. I will welcome my opportunity at having a day off. Wish me luck. Celestial is a nice companion within my submersion towards the terror of the unknown. I have a little partner, my Celestial album. A personification of which sits on my shoulder while my boss dresses me down for something I did not really do but is my fault anyhow. There is a charge of relief in knowing your head lies beneath a glistening blade and you are going to deny all the Charlotte Corday's their purpose in life. I am so tired. I am rambling. This is not as fuzzy as the first album, my thoughts are fuzzier. Nearly all of the songs are female led. I don't mind. It is all stirring and elegant and dignified. It has a romance about it. I miss romance. THe romance of everyday things, the tendernes of a dream spent in someone's arms, the slow drawn movement into a heart's caress. You long for someoen to stare at you the way you wish you could stare at them. I was sitting with someone this evening, in a passionate embrace and thought only of someone else. Madness. Always. It's slow motion elegance, unhurried, pristine in the tradition of Blueboy or Brighter. It's truly marvelous. Second song, stately organ underpinning her gracile vocals. There are two singers. More bands should have multiple singers. His Name is Alive used to employ five or six per record. It was a magical time in my life. Chelle Marie, Denise James, Karin Oliver, blah blah blah? Who was it to fall in love with this day in springtime. This is simple, the melodies remind me of the Bats. A jangly entry worked out from with soft vocals, a drifty organ and warmth. Last time I compared it to the Maryonettes because they had a similar artistic aesthetic. No such comparisons now, most have rightfully conculded that the Maryonettes are frauds and repulsive and grey and ridiculous and horrid and that Celestial are dreamy ambient dreamers. He has a nice voice. it is very much like Bart's from Cat's Miaow. The girls are not nearly as cloying as Kerrie from Cat's Miaow. I have spent a good portion of the weekend in the library. I was fascinated by the outburst of one of the patrons. An almost feral being who went on a rampage throughout the facility. A wordless rant of nature, it could not be controlled, a more sensitive soul than me, my soul having been destroyed by endless work, would have called it a tragedy on display. All that was needed was a velvet rope and a glass case and one of those speak and spell toys that you hold to your ear when you move into different exhibits in the museum of the American Experience. I was reading about Murray Gell-Man. His love for the upper mayans, his daughter's love for Albania!?! and John Schwartz. And the imaginary hyphenation. Theoretical Physicists seems a lanky group of loaf abouts. Really. Third song. Divas are the same no matter what field you explore for them in I suppose. Celestial would represent the working stiffs, the Physicists that actually teach that mentor and Richard Feynman would represent the Radiohead's of the Physics universe. I am being too cruel. I grew up watching his lectures in the library at lunch. I lunched in the library because I was hopeless. It's true. Was. Is. Loads of jangle, pristine jangle, multi-layered jangle but there is a beautiful sense of melody and dynamics. The Reid brothers have been jettisoned. Even now, on the one song "he" sings it comes off a bit more Close Lobsters than Psychocandy. Pretty Organ, it's very Keris Howard this. "Forever whispers secrets to me" is a charming sentiment. Charm will carry you a long way in this society, even I, am not immune to its influence. Joebama drew 100,000 people today to civic center park in Denver. I wasn't invited. What do these people expect from him? Will his election cure all of our societal ills? No. Will there be affordable health care because he is elected? No. Will schools improve? No. Will global warming end? N...well it apparently already has. Must be because my neighbour has that smart looking smart car. Sharon Lawrence is still doing her polar bear commercials without mentioning that 80% of the world's major polar bear populations are currently increasing. But she's not so smart. What is the allure of being a statesman versus being a pop star or an actor? Why must Ben Affleck tell me his position of Doha? Fourth song, Celestial man singing. I say it is slightly Close Lobsters, it could be off of any of those Leamington Spa comps we've wearied of. It's basic. We love them for it, the same love as we hold for Irene or Corduroy Utd. He's Swedish too, right?
In my job interviews I long to be asked questions about which Swedish bands are marvelous and which are dreadful? Legends? Dreadful. Club 8? Marvelous. Moto Boy? Marvelous! Love is All? No longer marvelous quite possibly dreadful. More on them later. Fifth song is again one for the ladies. They have very pleasant and high mannered voices. Which are the raucous Swedes? The Love is All girl sometimes caterwauls but it is never menacing. Does Sweden have Black Metal the same as Norway? Are there lead singers firing shotguns into their brains for the sake of a really cool album cover shot? I don't know. I'e compared this to the Blueboys and Brighters of the world, it is a deserving comparison. They should have been on the Keith Girdler tribute record, they were certainly more deserving than Adorable lead singer. Adorable Lead singer is something like a little person on a totem pole sitting outside a coffee shop in a bogus display of indigenous authenticity. Denver hasn't been deeply infected with indigenous pandering. Aside from Ward Churchill. Will Ward be secretary of education under Joebama? I hope so. He could sell totem poles on a stick, breaded and with a cup of hot mustard to dip your white guilt into. Chew chomp slurp and digest. This song reminds me of Ally Kerr before he saddened me with that second record. Did not David Scott produce his record? It's not good. David's first mis-step since Za Za's garden? Possibly though we've never heard the Secret Goldfish's The Petal Split, sadly. Will it ever be released? Cross fingers. If my interviewer was a female and wore glitter lipstick I might be distracted. Someone I work with wears glitter lipstick and I spend my time speaking with her starig at her lips. I have no intentions. I do revel in her lips' glitter. I could play her Bows Girls, Lips, Glitter, couldn't I? But it would not prove my point. Ringing chords resonate. I've conducted job interviews but I am always made to ask the routine questions listed on our SOP for interview questions. I would like to ask Do you like Paul Verlaine?, Is it gonna rain today? It hasn't snowed yet. It seems slightly overdue. My job is made easier by the fact that it has not snowed yet. Next song. I don't imagine that they spend a great deal of time on these songs. Apparently genius is labour more than it is inspiration or so I am gleaning from my biography of Flaubert. He spends half of his time fornicating, half of it having epileptic seizures and the other half reading and the last half writing. What is the impulse behind writing to say something profound or insightful? Is the art of storytelling in the story more than in the intellectual cache of the intentions? I am not a huge fan of Madame Bovary but I enjoy A Sentimental Education although I am not certain which version I have read since I was completely unaware that he wrote two. Perhaps he is attempting to justify his good fortune of being born into a life of leisure so that he may read for 8 hours a day and not have to worry about financial matters while he lives with his mother and teaches his niece Herodotus? Perhaps there is the pressure of justifying his leisure that he fels compelled to impute some sort of meaningfulness into his "art". I am still fascinated by his existence, he seems to have slept with half of the women in the Levant even while turning into a grotesque character physically. I could pass for attractive and I barely sleep with anyone. it's not a writer's life I lead. last song. Lovely record. Houdini deserves a Frederick Brown biography.
interview questions, do you like paul verlaine is it gonna rain today. glitter lipstick. little people on totem poles, on a stick, breaded and

No comments: