Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Library Tapes Fragments. Delicate. Tender. The pedal on the left with the petals to be plucked from the air, hammered softly, bent into shape, malleable notes, repetitive notes. Unsophisticated arrangements. It is all decidedly lovely. Even as I am watching the Military chanel's top 10 countdown of the all time greatest tanks. I love the bald, portly man who has the booming rasp more than I love the weasly girly Brit with the permanent. Second song, buzzes and pianos. I could play this. Really. I make claim to that effect all of the time but it's three notes, the hum of an electric fan and an alarm clock. I have taken to enjoying several hour long walks in the evening. I have stopped running, for now. I feel like I need to refresh my mind more than I need to charge my lungs. I have been reading voraciously even as I work 14 hour days. I never get home before daylight, but I don't mind the night's dominion over the day. I used to bid farewell to the sun only after October was half departed and yet now I am without its companionship from late September. It is the least active solar cycle since 1954. This is not good news. Global cooling is a much more serious threat than global warming, someone should tell President Joebama. In the new bailout package there is a tax write off for companies to reimburse employees who ride their bicycle to work. It is up to $300 a year. I paid $129 for my bicycle. I could buy 2 bicycles a year and have enough left to get a fancy pair of spandex shorts. I listen to my Ipod when I ride my bicycle, I am sure Joebama would frown on such behaviour and will soon ban it to protect me from myself. It is a wonder that Democrats ever lose elections because when Joebama is elected there will be free health care, new tuition credits, credits to buy wind power, soy power, and new bicycles. Everything will be free. It is looking a bit like Jimmy Carter, Bush in his manipulation of markets is starting to resemble Nixon and his price fixing scheme. There used to be meetings where very unimportant people would decide the price of butter. Madness. And over and over these people are begged of for solutions to all that ails our planet. Absurdity. This is a beautiful record. Very very short. I put it on after feeling great disappointment in the world 'the world disappoints me, I see the world in me'. That's so marvelous. I had to give a talk for nearly an hour today. I am too tired to be nervous, someone asked me if I was nervous. I didn't answer. I am too tired to answer. Almost 92 hours, I subtract half an hour each day for lunch but I don't actually take lunch so why bother. I am doing laundry now, while listening to Library Tapes. it is a serene moment, I can feel the oscillations of the machine as they traverse the waves of ether between myself and the inanimate companion that has replaced the sun as my source of warmth and happiness. I went on a date on Saturday evening. Someone asked me about it at work today, I didn't say much. I never talk about anything current in my life. On and on will I prattle about the tedious past that I've embellished through overactive nostalgia glands but ask me what I did last night and I feel embarrassed about my social ineptitude. Fragment IV, untreated piano and an echo. I could count the echo as my closest confident. When I take walks in the evening I will interview myself, or my self that I was meant to be. I've been for the last few hours lost in spreadsheets. I am trying to write a novel but I marvel at my cleverness when I figure out an interesting way to make things much more complicated than they need be and document my inefficiency thusly on Microsoft Excel. It's a gift. Fifth fragment. Is that violin? Scrapes and field recordings in a joyful embrace, so wondrously lovely is this. It would have been most perfect had it snowed at the moment that the violins soared to these emblazoned heights but it was not to be. We were too far east. Our chief of staff was not going to navigate the northwest passage to the winter wonderland. The Woolworth's L shaped counter is not in Utah but I was in Utah a few weeks ago. It is difficult to feel unkempt in Utah. I would think it would be not difficult but it resembles the aseptic landscape of oral surgeon's offices and all is surface driven as if one might excavate beneath city streets of Salt Lake City and all one would discover was a bag of pop rocks from 1973 and some roly polys killed by Raid. Sixth fragment, space age glitchery, music school homework on top. Is he an accomplished pianist? Has he attended a prominent conservatory and this is his rebellion against the status quo? I don't know if this is treated piano. Were he to dress these songs up in the fragrances of dissonance and vague cosmopolitanism it would be all the more lovely. Even so, as it is, it's marvelous. I would love to play this in the evening when trying to delay all of the tortured scenes that will invade my psyche in the evening. The pedals of my mind singing in harmony with the notes taped out patiently and without style or aspirations towards acclaim. His friends told him he should release that man. So he did. Just like Man Machine or Mog Stunt Team or Four Fabulous Scientists. The last fragment strands of goodness wrapped in a Murcof dreamt landscape of classicism and terror. Beautiful. When sleep eludes you must take solace in the beauty of silences, dream of sleep rather than a quest through sleep to dream.

algae in diesel tanks, flaubert and me, onanism, hair color, autumn, gregory and the hawk, baseball, joanna newsom.

No comments: